Yoga began as a spiritual practice but has become popular as a way of promoting physical and mental well-being.
Research suggests that yoga may:
- Help improve general wellness by relieving stress, supporting good health habits, and improving mental/emotional health, sleep, and balance
- Relieve low-back pain and neck pain, and possibly pain from tension-type headaches and knee osteoarthritis
- Help people who are overweight or obese lose weight
- Help people quit smoking.
- Help people manage anxiety or depressive symptoms associated with difficult life situations.
- Relieve menopause symptoms.
- Help people with chronic diseases manage their symptoms and improve their quality of life.